Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Swimming in Desperation

A few days ago I bought myself a new bathing suit, cap, and goggles with the intention of joining a local gym with a pool. I had recently taken up running as my new form of exercise but it is doing a serious number on my joints (ack! I am getting old). I had been a competitive swimmer for most of my younger years and I have to admit I miss the mindless, soothing act of stroking up and down the pool.
I have been mildly cranky lately due to my eight month old waking up 4-5 times a night for no particular reason. I have been relying on the half hour nap here and there to keep myself sane but today both children decided not to take their afternoon nap. So after I wasted an hour and a half trying to convince both of them that it was indeed time for a nap, I gave up. I positioned my three year old in front of her toys and strict instructions not to bother me while I had some 'quiet time'. I entertained the eight month old by throwing different toys her way and having a Baby Einstein DVD on. This did not work for more than five minutes and just when I thought I would take the car and drive away never to return, salvation walked through the door. Hubby came home early! I decided that I HAD to get out, but where to? I packed up my new suit, goggles and cap, threw a towel in my OLD swim bag and practically ran out the door (leaving hubby looking baffled). Fifteen minutes later I was feeling right at home in a heavily chlorinated pool with the ever present senior aquatic class next to my lane rope. Ahhh, home sweet pool.......

No comments: